Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Airport closures and jet lag... drunken train ride to paradise.

~9:00pm-Dec 20th - Manama, Bahrain - We have been in the air for about an hour now on the last flight before we get to Bangkok. This will be my third flight in a week. Getting out of Europe was a stressful nightmare of our trains to Frankfurt being delayed and/or canceled with me getting to the airport 10 min. before my flight check-in closed... whew. (Oliver was on a Thai airways direct flight leaving 2 hrs later--long story.) The snow-storms had shut down Heathrow, Paris and was in the process of shutting down Frankfurt as well. As I ran to my flight I saw hundreds of makeshift cots with stranded travelers camping out waiting for some news of departure or delay....

The air in Bahrain is hot and muggy at night, but surprisingly pleasant, especially coming from a cold winter wonderland in Germany. Someone then tells me that this is a winter/cold season for Bahrain and I gulp... this place would be too hot for me. I hope that Oliver made his flight out before more snow.




Dec. 22nd- Bangkok, Thailand - We've arrived! The Bangkok sunshine welcomed us in our extremely jet-lagged state. We have spent the past day or so sleeping, getting a massage, buying books and meeting the family.




Olli and I took the night train from BKK (Bangkok) to CM (Chiang Mai). The ride was a crazy and restless one since we both got upper bunks close to a loud opening door all night which made my dreams smell of cigarette smoke and engine exhaust. we had several drinks in the "party" car to make invite sleep more easily. Next stop: Paradise in Pai!

No comments: