Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas in Pai.... a day later...




So since I struggled with feeling well all day on Christmas we didn't really celebrate, but instead went out the next evening. Since we're a day ahead here it was kinda like celebrating Christmas Seattle Standard time. Around New years, and now every holiday really in Thailand we have these giant paper balloon type things which you set fire to a wax-shaped donuts at the bottom of the balloon and while it burns it filled the balloon with hot smoky air and then lifts off in the same fashion a hot air balloon does. While the balloon fills you and your group of friends must hold it up and take funny pictures with it!



In Pai ever night we were there you could see the little twinkles of these fiery balloons dot the night sky. The fly up so high that they either disappear from view or become like stars while they confused the constellations.


The evenings in Pai were quite cold. It was kind of like BM. You have to head home before the sun hits the horizon to put on your cold weather fuzzies! while drinking at a bar one night I though this jolly drunk Thai women was wearing blue cheeseburger earmuffs on her head...WOW! I want I want! turns out they were blue strawberries! ....still cool. The women caught me staring at her while I was dancing with the bar staff (hey they convinced me it was a good idea!) After a bit of conversation she found out Olli and I were on a bit of a honeymoon and thought we were cute dancing, she bought us drinks and gave me her earmuffs! YAY!




So while Christmas blew chunks for me (quite literally... eewwww!!!) the day after was great fun with fuzzy blue strawberry earmuffs, bamboo bars along the river lit by Christmas lights and flaming balloons that look like stars in the sky!

No comments: