Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Greeting from Truckee, California!

…and that’s how the postcard would begin if I could send a postcard to each of you.


I leave for Burning Man shortly after I press the send button. My drive from Santa Fe to here-about two miles down the road from where the Donner Party cannibalized themselves- was just about as crazy and random as an encounter with Mel may seem. From trying to sleep in the community park in Flagstaff, AZ where ho-bo’s awoke me and asked if I was hungry and wanted to go eat with them (I did by the way, and it was awesomely delicious! They even gave me a bag for the road!) to swinging on giant kidney-shaped pillows on Sunset Blvd, a stroll through a corset shop in Hollywood to jumping in lakes at 6500 at sunset with a bottle of the most amazing sherry in my left hand and a dear friend in the other…

However, before I continue this story of my perpetual motion let me just make you all aware that the morning I left Santa Fe- just moments after the sun had just begun to play on the tops of the Sangre de Cristos- it seemed that my heart was breaking a thousand times. As I flew down I-25 I made sure to fly and to not turn around and look back since most of you who know me knew how hard it was for me to leave that beautiful place that most of you still live in. That wondrous place with the most hypnotic skies had her long fingers dug straight into my hair and seemed to be pulling harder the faster I was flying away.

But now… I’m gone.

I will never forget that that was home. And you are reading this right now since I want you to know that I thank you for making that such an amazing home to be in…

…and with that short piece of bittersweet accompanied by grotesquely long run-on sentences I will seal my electronics in their air-tight pockets, and head off to a week in the dust of the great Black Rock City.

-See you after Burning Man!

Wheeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mellington Cartwright III

(Aug. 2007, Truckee, CA: This was actually before the Burn. oops.)


Pic: me with my lovely new elephant friend PHIL! while we drink wine and do funny dances!




PS: lunar eclipse tomorrow!

No comments: