Thursday, December 18, 2008

Random Postcard: Siam and the Things I Forgot




One)
>
> 'I am going to do what I want to do...' -This phrase does
not exist.
>
>
> Sure... the sentence is doable in Thai... but the concept
that people in the Western world have of this so-called
idea does not process the same way in Asia. Basically...
you never 'do' what you want to do. Every decision you make
is always made with the family in mind. Here people don't
function as independent, self-reliant people no matter how
independent, strong-willed or self-reliant. You always keep
the family in mind... you always work with the family in
mind, and what career you may have, and whatever man/women
you may marry... you always keep the family in mind. Your
life is ruled with your family in mind.
>
>
> Two)
>
> -I am a giantess among everyone here. Everywhere I gaze
are small petite women with no curves and tiny bone
structures. When you are the Amazonian stranger here you
can't help but feel... well... a little large and out of
place... no matter how damn slanty my eyes seem to be.
>
>
> Three)
>
> -Living with 14 servants in one house makes you Lazy.
Yes... servants... and yes....lazy. My Aunt's house in the
heart of Bangkok is a residence up top and business below.
We run a chicken distribution center and have live in
workers in one half of the house while the other side
belongs to the family, a caste system divides us in
between. It is not like India-don't worry-but still seems
unfair to my American eyes, even though the entire system
makes perfect sense to my Thai sensibility. The systems is
called Yai/Lek (big/small)The idea is that the servants.
(the littler brothers) help us, they are suppose to listen
to our every comment and criticism, we (as the big
brothers) pay them, and give them shelter and if they get
sick we take care of them.
>
>
> -So unless you have been asleep while reading this you
may of realized... yes... I am in Thailand now.
>
>
> -Mel
>
>
>
>

No comments: